Thursday, October 1, 2009

Random Installation Idea Number 2: "Lecture"

"Lecture" (working title)

The idea of this is simple enough, and I don't really know why I haven't tried to do it yet. This would actually be a series of videos that could be presented as an "installation", or just popped on youtube or some similar outlet.

The concept is to invite "experts" (the required qualifications would have to be decided upon before starting the project, but I am envisioning it being professors, phd's, researchers, authors, etc) to explain a concept of their choosing to me. We will sit across from one another, and there will be a blackboard available between us if they need it to illustrate their point or write down fundamental elements of the idea. The video will not end until I am able to grasp the concept to their satisfaction, or until they are thoroughly frustrated by my ineptitude and decide to quit.

I will only be allowed to ask them questions if I do not feel that I understand what they are describing. I will have to repeat to them the concept at what I think is the point that I understand it. If they feel that I am not grasping it, we will have to establish the point where my own reasoning is failing and start again from there. If they feel satisfied that I have learned what they have been teaching me, we shake hands and the video ends.

I think I would have to standardize the format of my questions. The idea would be to ask simple and logical questions pertaining solely (as far as I am aware) to the subject at hand.

I think the hardest part of this would be finding "experts" to participate. Also I would need to buy a digital camcorder and a tripod, and learn some basics of video documentation.

I really like the idea of doing this project, but it makes me rather nervous because it would leave me in a rather vulnerable position. My intellectual shortcomings would become a matter of public record, and I'm not sure how comfortable I am with that.

We'll see. If I can get over myself I might get up the courage to finally do this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment