Friday, July 17, 2009

On Blogging?!

I don't really get how our why you are supposed to use a blog. I will be turning thirty on Beggar's Night this October, and I still don't get the whole blogging idea. I thought I was supposed to be in the prime demographic for this whole mess of exhibitionist communication. I had blogs posted on myspace years ago, and then I realized that anybody could read them and comment on them. Then I changed my privacy settings.

But then I realized that any of the several hundreds of people that I didn't actually know but had accepted as friends could read them and comment on them as well. No big deal really, privacy these days is essentially an illusion anyway. No matter though, because that was about the time that myspace was giving up the ghost. Pretty much everyone I knew that was above (lets say for arguments sake) the age of twenty-two was escaping like rats from a sinking ship over to facebook. One bot too many messaging "Hey Sexy! I saw your pic" and it was all over for us.

You can't really blog on facebook, at least not in a way that I find satisfying. I want to be able to rant ad nauseum every once in awhile, and facebook really isn't the place for that. It's more of a way for people to comment on what they are doing (or preparing to do) at the moment aside from sitting at a computer or web-enabled phone. Twitter (which I inexplicably have an account with) seems like a hyper charged version of this idea, and you have no choice about who the hell is following you (as far as my unsophisticated understanding of the technology goes).

I've tried to counteract all of the "I'm sleepy and need to go to bed" and "Gee whiz my kid is a pain in the ass" type facebook updates with random and incoherent craziness, but it still is not quite satisfying, and not as at length as I would like. So here I am.

We'll see if I use it for crazy rants or what. I've learned to watch what I say on the internet to an extent so we will see I guess.

1 comment:

  1. Oh boy! A new blog! How unique!!

    Heh.

    Looking forward to seeing what thoughts you post on this virtual graffiti wall. I hope you post some art!

    ReplyDelete